Monday, June 4, 2012

An example of a Kaplan union contract

We recently received a copy of the union contract Kaplan signed with the teachers at their school in Vancouver.

Some high points include:
- 4 weeks paid vacation per year
- 10 paid holidays
- 5 sick days
- 2 personal days
- 3 bereavement days for immediate family
- $5000 extra annually for anyone with a DELTA or applicable master's degree.
- $300 per quarter if students do 90% or more 4's and 5's on the exit survey.

In this contract, there are two varieties of teachers: 22.5 teaching hours per week and 30 hours per week. There's also very logical approaches to subs and temporary teachers, i.e. while temporary teachers don't receive vacation benefits, etc. they do receive 4% more salary in lieu of that.

If I taught 22.5 hours per week, under this contract, as a teacher with four years experience, I would be making a base salary of $41,355 (Canadian) a.k.a. $40,166 USD.

We know there are differences between the labor climates in Canada and the U.S. but this gives us an idea of the kind of things Kaplan can offer while still turning a profit. 

To see a full copy of the contract, contact a teacher-organizer at your branch.

9 comments:

  1. Oh and hey guess what? Now I'm in CALIFORNIA.

    So either I have invented the Star Trek transporter, or you've just made a gigantic fool of yourself.

    Bet you won't post this, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comments don't have to be approved before being posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. Now I'm in "Germany". The question is, will the administrator of this site retract his false accusation and apologize?

      Delete
    2. The only person who's being accused here is Kaplan.

      If you were really a teacher that was using a UK proxy, why would you be all worked up against accusations against the company? You're taking this very personally for someone commenting under a pseudonym...

      Delete
  3. Simple. I don't appreciate being called a liar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The person who wrote the article pointed out that your IP address was located in the UK, and that no one knows of any teachers who are in the UK. Is that a lie?

      Why did you write that you're in "Germany" with ironic quotes? Are you in Germany or not?

      Delete
  4. Four weeks paid vacations! Ten paid holidays! Sick days? I would be so happy to have even part of one of those things!

    I'm a part-time employee at Kaplan and I double bank (or even triple bank) every year for about 3-4 months in the summer. I can afford a vacation (if you call visiting your relatives for Christmas a vacation) but after that my bank account is wiped clean, I'm back at zero.

    I haven't been able to afford a doctor's visit in over three years. Thank god I'm healthy!

    Considering I teach between 5-8 hours a day (as much as I taught when I was a High School teacher!), I would love ANY ONE of those things the Vancouver folks got!

    Thanks for posting this,

    English Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree!

      It seems that the teachers in Canada are treated like real adults. I'm really tired of living like a college student.

      I shop at the Goodwill. I eat out most often in Chinatown because I can get dinner under $10. I'm almost 40 and I don't have a car, a house, apartment, a child, or even a dog. In fact, I live in a pretty run-down apartment. I inherited my couch from my neighbor because I couldn't afford to buy one. My vacations are going to New Jersey or Long Island for a weekend. If I go to the doctor, the bill goes on my credit card. I have no savings.

      I worked at Kaplan for 30+ hours a week for two years without taking a week off. I worked through being sick. I worked through the summers. Last year I had a breakdown and said fuck it, I'll just go into debt. Now I take time off when I need to, and watch my credit card bills grow.

      Delete
  5. This is a great discussion. Can you give me some more info on the union in Vancouver at Kaplan there? You can check me out on a search engine or at chicagococal.org

    In solidarity,

    Joe Berry

    ReplyDelete